7 replies to this topic

#1 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

I've been waiting for two years to be able to write this post and I'm pretty excited we finally made it!  The 9th Age is about to release its v1.99 rules!!  For those who don't know, T9A is the spiritual successor the Warhammer Fantasy.  After the catastrophe of GW's End Times campaign, a group of hardcore players picked up the pieces and fixed what was broken to salvage the player base.  But what's about to come is a complete re-write from the ground-on-up where the junk was stripped away and the core was redesigned.  We've done plenty of tweaking around the edges so far but now it's time to cast away what was old and step into the new!  The goal has been to make the most balanced rule set on the market while preserving the existing players model collections.  Every unit is actually playable now :)

Posted Image

For obvious legal reasons, the first two books to get full redesigns are the Warriors and Demonic Legions books.  So with the new rules, we're also releasing our first new army book!

https://www.youtube....DzN3wFwVvY&t=6s

If you've missed Generals, BSBs, Wizards, knights, vampires, orcs, elves, and all the rest, I'm happy to say it's back.  Fantasy mass-combat is back!  So get those boxes out of storage and blow the dust off of your old Warhammer armies!!

To find out more about the rules and the different armies, visit us at https://www.the-ninth-age.com/.  We have a small but sustainable local community here in San Diego.  If you want to set up a game, you can reach me here or on the T9A forums as Grimbold Blackhammer.

Cheers all!!
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#2 Rudedog

Rudedog

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

And if you want to buy  a Pro Painted, fully based, fully magnetized fantasy army to play this game, PM me for a 50% off Christmas deal!
Ogres, Elves (3 flavors), Chaos, Undead, Skaven...    Merry Christmas!!!
Proud member of the ABL since 5th edition

#3 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Once Christmas (bills) are wrapped up, I may chase you down on that undead goodness!
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#4 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

I had a couple guys over and we played some 1.3 9th Age right as the new rules were coming out.

Thus far the biggest changes I see are the names of the stats, the separation of the charge phase from other movement, the decimation test for units 25% or less, and the magic phase (which feels very clunky).

I live in the middle of a thriving fantasy community, so I知 sure I値l get some sample games in soon. I appreciate and enjoy what the 9th Age folks are doing, but I still miss 8th ed WFB.
Posted Image

#5 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:42 AM

There are certainly some things I miss from 8th edition.  But there are things I miss from 6th edition too.  Time moves on...

The magic phase is the only thing so far I'm not jumping up and down about.  For me they made up for it with the new magic item system though!  That and Strength being separated from Armor Piercing (finally!).
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#6 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

I have to admit that the more I read and think about the new rules, the more I like them. I didn稚 think I would be a fan of the split WS into offense and defense, but it works and I see why they did it. Hopefully these changes are enough to satisfy the legal folks, so we can have a stable system to build on.

I just finished the Dwarves Holds Book yesterday and I知 ok with it for the most part. I still don稚 like the idea of the engineer taking up percentage points in both character and war machine buckets, but I can work easier with the 20% cap than I could in 1.3.

The Kingdom of Equitane (Bretonnians) Book came out today and I知 sure most of my afternoon will be spent combing through that.

Basically when the dust settles, we have a good game system to use our toys with. I think as the system stabalizes, you値l see more people jump on board.
Posted Image

#7 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:33 AM

I followed the progress of a lot of the books and both Dread Elves and Kingdom of Equitaine are in rough spots.  Dread Elves are next in line for a full book rewrite and a few of us are petitioning to put KoE next in line after that.  Patching KoE isn't working and it needs a bottom-up rewrite (I now understand why GW avoided doing so for so long...).  It's not terrible but it's certainly not what it deserves to be :)

I'm really liking the new rules though.  I think the new way of making magic items is pretty brilliant but I think everyone is going to cry at the lack of 4+ Ward Saves.  I'm not but I think a lot of other folks will feel vulnerable.
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#8 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

I played my first game of the 2.0 beta for 9th Age on Saturday night.... It actually went pretty smooth and I liked it more than I did 1.3.

The biggest issues I had were:
1. Asking for WS and Toughness instead of Defense and Resiliency.
2. Working through the steps in the Magic Phase, although we had them figured out by turn 3.
3. The huge reduction of magic items.

What I enjoyed:
1. After playing with it and thinking about it more, I actually like the split of WS between Offense and Defense. It provides an additional layer of customization to units that we didn't have before and it actually feels like a welcome change even if it is the same for most units in the game.
2. The AP value being the total penalty amount you take against your armor save. It's now a lot easier to add without worrying about what the strength of the unit is.
3. The initiative boost of +1 for charging units.

Overall, it's still Fantasy Battle and the game still looks and feels like the game we've been playing for many years. I'm looking forward to seeing what supplements and materials Avatars of War creates in support of the game.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users