Going back to 8th WFB, 9th Age is imploding...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

So, unfortunately the writing looks to be on the wall for 9th Age.

A lot of people including myself wanted to continue to play WFB after GW ended the old world. 9th Age started out as a great idea to continue WFB with a couple quick fixes that made sense. Unfortunately that would not last. As independent miniature companies pledged support to the game, there was a growing fear that GW would unleash its team of attorneys and force the project to be shut down. So, to appease the suits and miniature companies, the 9th Age community shifted gears to start writing a different game.... The catch is most of the community didn't want a different game which is why they started playing 9th Age in the first place. So 9th Age 2.0 got pushed back and the community remains divided. It came out today that Adepticon will not host a 9th Age event in 2018. Their reason was to open up table space for other games, although most believe it happened to appease GW. Regardless, I think the future of the 9th Age project is sketchy at best.

For myself personally, I've already spoke to folks in my area that have expressed a desire to go back and play 8th edition WFB, so we'll be starting a new map campaign in the near future.

Also, as a heads-up I'm going to be back in SD on October 4th to the 14th. I hope to see many of you guys then.

Take Care,
-Pat
Posted Image

#2 Matt

Matt

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

Well that's a bummer.  Fantasy gaming hasn't been the same since 8th edition imploded.
Age of Sig is too much of a skirmish for me; and Rune Wars, while excellent is still very new and needs another years worth of releases to really give it some depth.
Kings of War is decent, but a bit too bland.
Hopefully the spin off produces something good; otherwise, it looks like I'm waiting on RuneWars to flush out more.

#3 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:36 AM

Pat, we've announced the release of the beta rules for 2.0 to be coming out soon (we're aiming for November) so wait until then.  So far, I've liked all the changes except one and that's just personal preference on my part.  Splitting weapon skill into offensive and defensive stats, splitting movement into walking, marching, and charging values, changing ballistic skill to a fixed value and adding the standard modifiers from that point...I expect most folks will very much appreciate the changes!  But as far as imploding goes, I know nothing about it.  Our tournaments are as big as they ever were in 8th edition if that's any indication and even with the gaming scene shattered in SD, I'm still playing as often as I can find time for.  That being said, I've no idea what prompted the Adepticon decision.  I assume, like most things, it comes down to $$$ but who knows...

I hope in a month or two you'll check out the new rules and find your way back :)
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#4 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

While it isn't as much fun as the GW conspiracies running through the forums, I found out what happened.  Adepticon is a for-profit company (an LLC actually) so their goal is to make money.  Different vendors commonly pay them to get tables and the T9A tournament organizers weren't down with that so we got no tables.  Apparently there is a waiting list of other companies to get those tables so we got out'd.  The good news is there is no ill will on either side and the Adepticon folks are helping us set up a separate tournament just for us.  So for people who go to it every year it sucks a bit but that's the way the undead-cookie crumbles.
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#5 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

Phil, will you be coming out to Chicago for the 9th Age tourney/Adepticon?

Posted Image

#6 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

I wish but no.  We went to the Philippines this year so my travel budget is empty =(
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#7 Qrab

Qrab

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

I've been away from San Diego for a long time and I've got to say that it's pretty shitty to move back after GW ruined WFB. I was never big on 8th edition, so at this point I'm looking at 3rd (true Oldhammer) or 6th (Midhammer) and tuning them as needed.
The above post may contain sarcasm. Read at your own risk.

My Nurgle Warriors
My Daemons

#8 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Says the guy who probably still has loads of 3rd edition models :)

Welcome back!!
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users