10 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

I'm just curious to see if anyone is still playing 9th Age in SD?

Posted Image

#2 Rudedog

Rudedog

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

Phil plays it, and he scraped up a guy from somewhere to play against.  Maybe further North in the OC area.  Even Donovan has given up on that game.  Him and some others called it quit's when the rules committee for 9th age kept changing the rules from month to month.  There was even a big blow-up about how the rules were changed to give an edge to some members favorite armies on the eve of their going to big tournaments.  To many cooks spoiled the broth I guess.

KoW has not taken off down here either, it's still just the 6 of us.  We almost got 3 different individuals to join our group, but work hours and over long distance made it an impracticality.  To bad, because in Texas and the east coast, they have 60 man tournaments twice a year, with other (not so large) tournaments bi-monthly.

I myself have been trying to introduce Rune Wars to the area.  It's a mass battle system by Fantasy Flights game.  It seems to fill the itch of pulling off figs as they die, heroes joining units or running around by themselves, even monsters can join a unit, or run around by themselves.  It's just been released, so only two factions are out right now (human and Undead), but two more will be out in the 3rd Quarter of this year.

But the several games I've played thus far have been fantastic.  Check back in three months.
Proud member of the ABL since 5th edition

#3 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

I think you're right about the 3 month time frame. 9th Age has been in a massive flux and there are too many cooks in the kitchen. However, the word is that when 2.0 drops the rules will stabilize for a minimum of 2 years. Until it is stable, it's going to be awfully hard to grow.

I would probably try KoW, but in my town there's nobody playing it. (I hear up near Toledo there is a small group of guys doing it.)

Anyway, I guess we'll wait and see what emerges as the next rank and file square-based game. There is a true void there that needs to be filled.
Posted Image

#4 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:55 AM

I actually volunteered to help out with their forums and whatnot about a year and a half ago and I accidentally found myself later on taking a staff position so my opinion is pretty biased :D   But I'm playing games every week or two and going to tournaments every month.  The gaming community has dwindled but I'm happy to say there is still interest!  The rules were changing pretty fast and it was turning people off so we locked them for about a year.  Now our biggest concern is moving away from GW intellectual property so there will be one more update and then it will be locked again hopefully for 4+ years.
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#5 bama

bama

Lord Channel of Bretonnia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Further the realm, protect the lands from villainy and serve the King

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:55 PM

Where are you playing tournaments?
Posted Image

#6 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:47 AM

Various stores across LA county.  With the gaming community slowly reviving itself, I figure I should show up when I can even if I have to drive a bit to show support.  Right now bringing half-sized lists but playing 2 vs 2 seems to be in fashion around here - way more interaction between players.which is more fun!  I miss playing with you guys quite a bit to be honest (I wish 40K or KoW was more my thing :( ) but I'm having a blast with T9A.  I've started a vanity project and collecting Tomb Kings now that they are a decent army again...

Got a chance to review the alpha version of the new warriors book last night.  Assuming no changes, people are going to love it!  Rules team did an amazing job!!
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#7 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

I just heard that GW has doubled down on AoS and they just announced the new 40K will be AoS-like.  Is that true?  Is that as bad as I think it is?
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#8 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

In case anyone was interested, they just posed all the army lists for everyone to see for this year's Buckeye Battles tourney. (101 registered 9th Age players) I'm running Kingdom of Equitane (Bretonnians)

https://www.dropbox....vQ7I9d238a?dl=0
Posted Image

#9 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:38 AM

33 teams registered so far.  I think the biggest they ever got to was 36 or 38 so we're pretty excited to be seeing those kinds of numbers!
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

#10 Wolf Patrick

Wolf Patrick

Primi Ordines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

Buckeye Battles was awesome. On Friday in the team tourney, my team finished 2nd overall. In the GT on Sat and Sun, I finished with a record of 3-2 in 44th place out of 102 players.

There were a few guys from LA that drove out to play and even a guy from the German ETC team that flew over to play. (He ended up finishing 2nd overall with Chaos Dwarfs.)
Posted Image

#11 Druchii Love

Druchii Love

Pilus Prior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

The LA guys car-pooled out there and said they had a great time!  That's a pretty fair showing for such a big tourney - good job!!
Posted Image
Save the Hydras!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users